Thursday, June 17, 2010

Polynesian Night

My Sweet husband does so good NEVER complaining about ANYTHING i cook. He will pretty much eat anything that i put in front of him, Which is AWESOME!! Makes it so much easier on me i am glad i only have one picky eater..Teagan. He grew up in Samoa, and having two polynesian parents you can imagine he use to eat different stuff that i know how to make. Since we have been married the only place he would have Poly Food is when we visit Aunty Vai or his Mother, Or we are at a Poly Event.. I Had NEVER tried to cook anything different than what i grew up cooking..
I Really want Teagan and Aaliyah to grow up and know Something about their other half. We havent yet but when they are a little older i would love for them to be able to go visit semi often and be familiar with that culture. (Of course i would benifet from that as well :)
So i decided i am going to do my best at least once a month to cook some Polynesian food and start to incorporate at least the things i like a little more often. Tonight was our first night. I made a few of Moanas favorites. Otai, Manapua, Musubi, and Pani Popo. We all dressed in our Lava lavas. And had our islandy table cloth. ( everything had been given to us from my inlaws, but hadnt really been used much, but i hope to change that) It was SO cute to me to See Teagan in his lava lava, I hadnt ever put one on him.

Musubi-Sticky Rice, and Flavor coated Spam, Wrapped in Seawead.
Manapua- My version cause i ran out of time to do the real breading. Bread stuffed with BBQ Chicken.
Its kind of a drink with LOTS of chunks in it. Their version of a smoothy.. Maybe?
Otai- Watermelon, Pinapple,Evap. Milk, Coconut,Water, and Ice
Pani Popo- My favorite Poly Food. Its Desert. Rolls cooked in Coconut Milk, Sugar and water. THE BEST!!

Teagan didnt want to be taking a Picture
My Hott Island Boy!
Cute Little Girl
Sweet Boy!
I love to table Cloth
Me and Teagan


5 comments:

Jake and Em said...

what a fun meal and great idea! the fam looks so cute!

Nicole said...

The food looks great. I am sure it tasted great too.

Holly said...

Yum, well except for the spam rolls. Can we come over for dinner some time? Maybe in a few years. . . .

Puanani Tagoai said...

Steph, you're awesome for doing that, and the food looks great!! Teagan does look adorable in his lava lava :)!

Stephanie and Moana Haretuku said...

Thank you guys! It was tons of fun! Holly you can come over in three years, Not before then :)haha